Thursday, January 16, 2014

Banana Pudding

Growing up in the South, making banana pudding from scratch is a rite of passage.  So is learning to make biscuits from scratch but we won't dwell on that.

On New Year's Day, 2014, my Momma made dinner.  She insisted.  My sister was angry because Mom didn't feel like eating after she prepared the meal but we were all together for the most part. That was all that mattered to my Mom.
She sent leftovers home to everyone.  In the days that followed, we would open the fridge and there would be the food she made.  Her banana pudding.  It is ridiculous to think that the sight of banana pudding could bring me to tears, but it did.  It is my Dad's favorite dessert.

My parents grew up poor.  Learning country cooking was the only way to cook. I must confess: I have NEVER cooked pinto beans from scratch.  I never will.  I will eat them but this is not something I set out to do on purpose.  As a child I would ask "Are we not having any meat?" on pinto bean/cole slaw/macaroni & cheese/french fry/cornbread night.  This meal occurred once a week.  Mom would either cook some fatback or fry up some weenies.  I put so many onions, ketchup & chow chow in my pinto beans, there would barely be any room for beans.  This was perfect.  Once every week we would have this conversation while I was growing up.  With Mom's passing, I told my sister that this meal was her duty.  I will never cook this combination. Never.

While cleaning out our Mom's kitchen, we revisited so many childhood memories.  So many parties that she had for us or for the community.  There was always something being made or planned.  If you were at our house at dinner time, you got fed.  The kind ladies of the church brought food after the funeral. It was nice.  Good friends came to partake in the meal with us. One of the ladies of the church had sent deviled eggs.  The eggs had been made with spicy mustard and other "things". Definitely not like my Mom's.  My friend said it was almost sacrilege having those eggs in my Momma's house.  Something I thought but never said.  Luckily our Momma shared her recipes with us before she passed.  Even though we have the recipes, things will never taste quite the same.

The utensils she used. The methods and manners.  There are so many nuances that go into making things "yours".  I will never be able to eat banana pudding again.  Someone said that I will and it will make me smile to remember her.  I reserve doubt.  My sister had a hard time throwing the last food out of the fridge.  It is ridiculous. As if we validate her existence on earth with the things she touched, did,  or loved.  I find old friends who we grew up with offering compassion because they have either lost their loved ones or they remember the parents we had in our youth.  These are the ties that make us who we are.  We live through memories.

On the day of my mother's funeral, it was bitter cold.  After all was said and done, the low temps broke a 130 year old record.  I had read an article earlier about blowing bubbles and watching them freeze.  So….on the day of my mother's funeral, at 7am in my jommers, I went out and blew bubbles.  No one was up in the house yet.  It was just me.  Crying on the porch, talking to God and blowing bubbles.    In a few minutes, the world would wake up.  I would have to face the reality that I would be leaving my Mother in a cold crypt in a cemetery.  I would have to get a whole house of people together to go to the funeral.  I stole those few minutes for myself.

If you are blessed to have children, you will understand my next line of thought.  As a small child, nap time was mandatory.  Before my sister was born, I would lay next to my Momma and bury myself up in the small of her back.  She sandwiched me between her and the edge of the bed.  I spent many afternoons in this position.  After my Momma passed away, we had to wait for Hospice to come get her.  I have been around dead people before.  I really don't have a fear. It is just something natural to me.  In the stillness of the room, I laid down beside my Momma one last time.  Her tiny, frail body.  It felt peaceful.  And it gave me a sense of closure I needed.  Like things had come full circle.
And I was very much alone.

There were so many beautiful gifts and things given and shown to me and my family during this very hard time.  Most of them given to me by my Momma. She knew how things would progress and how she wanted us to be able to handle ourselves.  She made certain we had no unfinished business or regrets.  She was larger than life itself.
Missing her is truly the hardest part.
The last picture of my Momma and me. 

Momma's garden angel 

3 comments:

  1. I want to say something, but I can't sort out all I'm thinking. I don't know why I feel so sad for you. I've had other friends lose people, and I felt compassion for them, but I didn't feel this deep sadness that I do now. Maybe because there are very few people I feel really close to, you are one, it hurts to know you're hurting. That's a unique experience for me. I feel so disconnected from people and places most of the time. Part of that is my upbringing, part is probably just the way my brain is wired. When I read about the life you've lived, the family and friends who have been around you your whole life, I wonder what that would feel like. I know where I am from, and I know what blood relatives I have out there, but I'm not connected to either. I feel adrift. I don't normally notice my aloneness in the world, but reading about your family history and being surrounded by people with a common history and ties, it reminds me that I don't have that. Maybe part of my sadness for you extends to myself as I realize all that I missed out on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You didn't miss out on a thing. Your' mother raised you to be independent and brave-which you are. She knew she was not going to be able to afford to keep a roof over your head and not work-tough choices.
    If she had not been as tough….we might not have ever met.
    I can tell the sadness in your voice when we speak. It is comforting to know that you are there and I am not going through this alone. I have a few close friends in my circle and the true friends do not shy away. Life is messy and complicated. If I cannot cry on the phone with my best friends, who can I cry on the phone with?
    I read some articles sent to me on dealing with grief. I knew people fell into several different categories…I can tell when people are reliving their grief. I can also tell when people want to hold you at arms length because they do not want to acknowledge the inevitable possibilities of losing their own parents…it is a natural thing.
    The one side of the coin I have come to realize is that with her passing, I am very much alone and forced to grow up. I meant it when I said that on the morning after she passed, when I woke up & before I even opened my eyes, the first thought that popped in my head was "This is the first day my Momma is not on this Earth with me." Those sobering thoughts make you realize that somewhere, someone else is dealing with the same pain. The one thing that this whole ordeal has shown me is that family really doesn't have to be blood related. My heart will heal eventually. I hope. I just know I could not have stopped crying and started living had it not been for the kindness of others…..like you, my dearest friend.

    ReplyDelete