Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Sweet Southern Memories

My Momma's health has been in decline over the last few years so it is hard for her to face being unable to prepare the traditional holiday meal for us.  It usually falls on my sister and myself to do the cooking.  It is wonderful to be able to do this but it never tastes the same as when my Momma cooks.  Never ever.  The lady can stand there in the kitchen, oversee the whole operation, but if she never picks up a spoon....nope.  Not the same.  

I am a sentimental person.  

This next statement will sound morbid but oh well.  When a family member passes away, I ask for something out of their kitchen.  A bowl, a spoon, a utensil, a recipe, especially the recipes.  
Coming from a traditional Southern family has taught me that true love comes straight from the kitchen. 

When holidays approach, I need to feel the love that transcends generations.  I have my Aunt Betty's casserole dish. My Grandmother's Depression Glass serving bowls, My Maw Maw's serving spoons.  These are the people I think of when I reach for this piece or that and do my very best to honor their memory when I serve my friends and family.
Each piece has a story to tell.
I hope my children pass these stories along.

1 comment:

  1. That's not morbid, that's absolutely beautiful and I know they'd be thrilled that you think of them each time you use something of theirs.

    ReplyDelete